Building Permit Information & Applications
Building Code Information
Building code information can be found here.
Applications can be downloaded, printed (on legal-sized paper), filled out, along with the appropriate plans and documents, and brought to: Development Services
Missoula, MT 59802
Legal description information (required for some permits) can be obtained from our Parcel / Address / Sewer Program.
Residential building permits may also be applied for online through our Citizen Portal.
All commercial applications are required to be submitted through our Citizen Portal and require document submissions to be upload in PDF format through the portal. If you are not a current portal user, registration will be required prior to being able to submit for permits. Please follow the registration instructions on the portal website. Paper is no longer being accepted for commercial permits.
When making an application for a building permit, you must submit:
- A complete, signed building permit application, including the legal description of the property, the owner, and contractor information
- A complete signed site plan checklist
- A signed Fair Housing Acknowledgment and Certification (not needed for online applications)
- A complete plan set in a single PDF file to include photometric drawing
- Supplemental documents in PDF format
- Asbestos letters in PDF format
- Energy Compliance Certifications (ComCheck) in PDF format
Site Plan Checklist
The building permit application and site plan checklist must be printed and scaled to fit on 8.5" by 14" legal paper in order for this office to accept and process your application. If any of this information is incomplete or missing, the application process will be stopped. These forms may also be obtained from our office.
When Building Permits are Required
Building permits are required for the following:
- Commercial building projects
- Commercial storage buildings and garages of any size
- Most new residential construction projects
- Signs or fences over 7' in height
- Swimming pools
- Residential or commercial roofing
- Residential storage buildings and garages over 200 sq. ft. of floor area *
- Retaining wall
This list does not contain all types of work requiring a permit. Please call our office at 406-552-6630 before starting any type of work to determine whether you need a permit. Any residential buildings with interior dimensions of 120 sq. ft. or less do not require a building permit. More detailed information regarding required forms is available for commercial permits and for residential permits.
All building permit forms must be submitted on legal size paper (8.5" x 14"). When using from Adobe Acrobat Reader, set the paper size to legal before printing.
* Storage buildings under 120 sq. ft. may require a permit or approval from zoning.