Orders of Protection
Individuals wanting to file a Petition for a Temporary Order of Protection are encouraged to contact the Crime Victim Advocates office: (406) 258-3830 or by email: email@example.com if possible. The advocates will meet persons who do not have access to phone or email in the waiting room area if necessary. Persons needing paperwork to file for Temporary Orders of Protection are encouraged to access documents at the Crime Victim Advocate.
- Please submit all necessary documents to the court for Judge’s review.
- An adult may not file a petition on behalf of another adult as a protected party unless the filer is a guardian, a conservator, or agent acting on behalf of the the third party.
- If granted, the Court will issue a Temporary Order of Protection that will need to be served upon the Respondent by a Sheriff’s Deputy or other Process Server.
- A court date will scheduled within 20 days. Hearings are held Thursdays at 1:30 p.m.
- Both the Petitioner and the Respondent have the right to testify at the hearing, where the judge will determine if the Order of Protection will be continued on a permanent basis.
- Both the Petitioner and the Respondent have the right to hire an attorney; however, it is not required.
- There is no filing fee for a Temporary Order of Protection or permanent Order of Protection in Missoula Municipal Court.
Documents to Request an Order of Protection
- Petition for Temporary Order of Protection (PDF)
- Law Enforcement Service Information (PDF)
- Law Enforcement Service Information (back) (PDF)
- Confidential Address and Phone Number Request Form (PDF)
- Out of Area Request for Service